Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Nutella Frosted Cupcakes

I was back at my home town Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia recently during the recent Deepavali (Diwali) holidays and had also wanted to bring back some baked goodies. As we'll be on the road for about 4 hours, I could not possibly bring along anything that had cream or frosting on it. So it had to be something that was easy to carry and without much fuss. Why not unfrosted cupcakes! They're easy to pack and would probably survive a bump here and there along the way.

This recipe uses nutella which I thought would be an interesting change. I've not tasted nutella before and can only imagine it to taste like melted chocolate. Silly me, of course it's chocolate. It says so on the label .. duh!! I opted for a hazelnut flavour instead for this particular receipe. I loved the taste of the nutella, especially when the cupcake was still warm. It had a slight crunchy chocolatey taste to it. This recipe produces 12 moist cupcakes. My sister said that these cupcakes were extremely tasty, without an eggy taste to it even though 3 eggs were used.



Nutella Frosted Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)
Recipe from Baking Bites


Ingredients:

10 Tbsp (140 grams) butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups (200 grams) sifted all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Nutella, approx. 1/3 cup

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 325F or 180C. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.

2) Cream together butter and sugar until light, which should take about 2 minutes.

3) Add in eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Don’t worry if the batter doesn’t look smooth. Add vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder until batter is uniform and no flour remains.

4) Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin liner with batter. They should be 3/4 full, if you’re not using a scoop.

5) Top each cake with 1 1/2 tsp Nutella. Swirl Nutella in with a toothpick, making sure to fold a bit of batter up over the nutella.

6) Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.


7 comments:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Inspiring Jo, I have a coupla bottles of nutella from Italy but never thought I could top the cup cakes... Wonderful cupies...

Sihan said...

I've tried this recipe too! and i was caught biting the top off first before anything else. Groanz. anyway, I've passed a blog award to you over at my site! do take a look!

Salt N Turmeric said...

maybe i shud make this since i havent used the rest of the nutella tht i bot for my marble cake. ;)

Pam said...

They look really tasty. I've still never used nutella.

The Blonde Duck said...

I found your blog through Pam's. Those look divine!

sj said...

oh my goodness these look good! I need to get some nutella!

Unknown said...

Wonderful Jo, I have never thought of this idea.I like swirl and my son will love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails