Thursday, November 13, 2008

Strawberry Ice-cream

I made ice-cream again over the week-end. It's strawberry ice-cream this time as I managed to purchase 500g of ripen fruit. Every Friday evening at a building near my office (and where I would park my car as well), a local fruit supplier would set up a few tables at the foyer and sell their fresh and dried fruits. And usually it's slightly cheaper than at the local supermarkets.


I suggest you use ripen strawberries for this ice-cream, so as to get the best possible strawberry flavour. This is a light, creamy and non-custard based ice-cream. It is utterly delicious! This recipe makes slightly more than a litre tub.

Also don't despair if you don't have an ice-cream maker, you can still make this by hand. It just takes a little bit longer.

Strawberry Ice-cream

Ingredients:

450g strawberries, hulled
Juice of half a lemon, or to taste
150g sieved icing sugar
300ml double or thickened cream

Variations (which you could add):

1-2 Tbsp freshly chopped mint or
1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1) Puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor, then turn them into a bowl and season with the lemon juice and sugar to taste. Add the mint or black pepper, if used.

2) Stir in the cream.

3) Transfer mixture to your ice-cream machine and freeze-churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

4) If you are making this by hand, skip (3). Instead put the mixture into the freezer for about 2 to 3 hours until ice forms at the edges of the mixture. Remove and give the mixture a few whisk. Then place it back into the freezer and repeat this process for another two more times. Finally freeze the mixture overnight before consuming.



7 comments:

anudivya said...

This looks awesome... love eating ice cream in cold weather.

LIke the option for those without the ice cream maker as well.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

mmm this definitely goes to my to-do list, I really dont mind about this season but those scoopfuls make me want more.

I have soemthing for you check out at http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com/2008/11/in-past-month-my-other-blogger-friends.html

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

yum!

Unknown said...

Jo,I have a big carton of cream and since my son loves icecreams and I wanted to make strawberry icecream because of its vibrant colour. I love ur recipe and it is eggless too. Thanks for sharing.

javapot said...

Wow, looks yummy!! I have not made ice cream before - hope to try this out soon.

Jaya M said...

WOW! it looks so yum..thanks for sharing ...I like the idea of making it without ice-cream maker....
hugs and smiles

Jude said...

Nice work.. The color and texture looks perfect ..

Related Posts with Thumbnails