Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Happy Easter and a Welcome to Spring!

I am certainly in the mood for Easter which is just round the corner and when I came across some pictures of cupcakes beautifully decorated with Easter eggs, bunnies and little chicks I decided to do some myself. So in celebration of the coming Easter holidays and to usher in Spring (and not that Singapore has Spring as our weather here is either hot or hotter, and wet and wetter), the cupcakes I made over the weekend are dedicated to both these occassions. All the creations were given away to friends to enjoy, and I do hope that they did!





Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes
Recipe from Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse
(Makes about 20 regular cupcakes)


Ingredients:

1/2 cup of hot coffee
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 cup of cold water
1 1/2 cups of cake flour
1 teaspoons of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup of sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and have all ingredients at room temperature. Also have your cupcake liners and pans ready.

2) In a bowl, mix the hot coffee and cocoa powder together - no lumps! Whisk in the cold water.

3) In another bowl, sift the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.

4) Using your electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Slowly add in the eggs and the pure vanilla extract.

5) Alternate the two bowls (coffee mixture and flour mixture) into the batter.
Mix until smooth. Then using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into your cupcake liners.

6) Bake for about 20 - 22 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.







13 comments:

Dragon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dragon said...

What adorable little chickies!

Jescel said...

lovely works of art! i'd be delighted to receive one of these.. you are so creative.

Sarah E. Hoffman said...

wow! these are so cute! good decorating idea!

Edith said...

OMGosh, these are such lovely cuppies. I wish I have some too. Great job. Just adores them all.

test it comm said...

Amazing looking cupcakes! Happy Easter!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Those are so sweet especially the little chickees!

Happy Easter to you!
~ingrid

Lisa said...

What gorgeous amd adorable cupcakes, and beautiful fondant work! I love that the cupcakes are coffee, as the caffeine could make one run around like a chicky with it's head..well, you know..LOL

NKP said...

Those are SO cute! I have this book but have not made anything so wonderful from it. I had better get cracking - Ha! Cracking - get it? I crack me up.. Ha again!

Jo said...

Thanks everyone. I really did enjoy doing these cupcakes.

Lisa, haha .. I know exactly what you mean.

Natashya, you are too funny - now you're cracking me up too!

Elyse said...

These cupcakes are too precious. And here's the best part: not only do they look amazing, but man, those flavors sound totally delicious. What a perfect treat!

CC11 said...

Those look super awesome

kathy said...

These look adorable... I already made my cupcake chicks this year but I will try them next year.

http://polwig.com/cooking/coconut-chick-cupcakes/

Related Posts with Thumbnails