What a great combination this would be .... imagine the sweet sourness of raspberries infused with bitter chocolate! It's a definite win-win combination!
And what a way to get my chocolate fix on a lazy Sunday afternoon!
Hmmm. also how convenient that I happened to have some left over buttercream icing which I coloured in a light pink colour for the topping, just the right colour to pair off with the dark chocolate and the redness of the raspberries. I decided to keep the icing simple as the main actors are after all the bittersweet chocolate and raspberries.
Bittersweet Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cupcakes
Makes/Serves: 18 cupcakes
8 ounces 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, divided
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup Clover Honey*
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 pint raspberries
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Cut 2 ounces of chocolate into 18 pieces; set aside.
3) Place 6 ounces of coarsely chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir well. Microwave 30 seconds more on high and stir until all lumps are gone. If more melting is necessary, microwave in 10-second increments and stir until all lumps are gone. Chocolate should not become too warm.
4) Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
5) In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add honey and melted chocolate; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time.
6) Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until just combined.
7) With mixer running on low, slowly add the buttermilk. Add remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
8) Place a tablespoon of batter in the bottom of each paper-lined muffin tin. Add one piece of chocolate and 2 to 3 raspberries to each cup. Fill muffin tins two-thirds full with remaining batter.
9) Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to wire rack; cool. Frost with Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting, if desired.
Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting
1/4 cup Clover Honey*
8 ounces 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam, optional
1) Combine honey and chocolate in a medium bowl, set aside. In small, heavy pan, heat whipping cream over medium heat until bubbles just begin to form. Pour over honey-chocolate mixture and allow to stand for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth; cool. Refrigerate until chilled, 1 to 2 hours.
2) With an electric mixer, beat chocolate mixture until frosting is fluffy.
*Any mild-flavored honey such as Clover may be used.