Friday, June 6, 2008

Fish Cakes


Friday evening dinner -
whatever will I put on the dining table??

Instead of the usual "eat out" session which we usually do on Friday nights, I decided I'll do something simple and healthy. You know what they say, too much of a good thing is not good for you! And I'm talking about all our eat out sessions.

So it's fish this evening - maybe some fish cakes with a side salad would be good idea. I popped into the supermarket before heading back home and bought all the ingredients that were required in the recipe. They do say that fish is brain food right?? I'm not sure if this covers canned salmon as well but what the heck ..... I'm not going to think too much about it!

I remembered when I was young my mum used to make something similar and we always looked forward to her fish cakes. Sometimes she'll use minced chicken or crab meat instead and it was just as yummy.



My husband enjoyed the fish cakes. In fact he had 3 pieces and he said it was something different from the usual stuff I would cook up. He's not a fussy eater (unlike me) so I guess I can't complain much.

Fish Cakes
(makes 6 salmon patties)
Recipe from Exclusively Food

130g cooked potato, about 2 medium potatoes (boiled, steamed or microwaved)
210g tin salmon (or you could use canned tuna as well)
1 tablespoon (20ml) mayonnaise
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
1 large egg yolk (about 59g weight)
3 teaspoons finely chopped onion
Salt and pepper

For the coating:

1 egg
1 tablespoon (20ml) milk
About 2 tablespoons (25g) plain flour
Rounded 1/2 cup (50g) dry breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon (20ml) oil, for frying

Method:

1) Roughly mash the cooked potato and allow to cool.

2) Remove skin and bones from salmon and flake into large pieces.

3) Place salmon, potato, mayonnaise, parsley, egg yolk, onion, salt and pepper into a bowl. (For variation you may want to add sliced chillies as well for a little heat)

4) Gently stir ingredients to combine.

5) Refrigerate mixture for about 30 minutes to firm up.

6) Place egg and milk into a small bowl and beat together with a fork.

7) Shape cooled mixture into about six balls and lightly coat with each ball with flour.

8) Roll a ball in egg and milk mixture then coat with breadcrumbs, flattening the ball slightly to form a patty shape. Repeat with remaining balls.

9) Heat oil in a frying pan. Cook patties over medium heat for a few minutes on each side, until patties are golden brown and cooked through. Serve with a side salad.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails