We decided to eat in last weekend and have something simple, no fuss and no messy dishes to wash up! Don't you simply hate washing up especially on your "off day"! So I was thinking why not a simple roast chicken and salad. I asked my husband if he ever had a Thai version of roast chicken and the answer was no. Well, he's definitely going to love this one then!
Did you know that your Thai green curry paste could be used as a marinade for roasting chicken .. bet you didn't know this! The flavours of the green curry mixed with coconut milk gives an added sheen to your roast chicken, not forgetting the combined flavours of kaffir lime, sweet basil, lemongrass in the paste and a tinge of heat from the ground chillies! Wouldn't this be a great marinade for your normal roasted turkey for your Christmas dinner!
Roast Chicken with Green Curry Paste
1 1/2 kg chicken
1 cup coconut milk (you can substitute with milk)
3 Tbsp thai green curry paste
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 tsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp palm sugar
1) Wash and pat dry the chicken.
2) Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
3) Pour mixture inside and over chicken.
4) Cover the chicken and allow to marinate in fridge for at least 2 hours (longer will be better)
5) Remove marinated chicken from the refrigerator. Transfer to a wire baking tray and let stand for 10 minutes. Reserve the marinade into a bowl to be used for basting the chicken.
6) Cover the top of the chicken with foil and bake in preheated oven of 200C for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. After about 45 minutes into cooking time, remove the foil and roast the chicken uncovered in order to crisp up the skin. Baste the chicken with the marinade and continue roasting.
7) In the final 15 minutes of cooking time, remove chicken from the oven and pour the remaining marinade over the chicken. Continue to roast until cooked through. To test to ensure that the chicken is well cooked, use a fork to pierce into the chicken thigh and if no juices flow out, your chicken should be cooked.
8) Serve roast chicken with a side salad or with rice.