We weren't terribly fussed about what to have for dinner on Sunday. So I decided we'll have chicken instead, something easily put together and without much bother at all. Guess what, I didn't even look up any recipe book! And before I forget .. it was really delicious.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken
2 pieces skinless, deboned whole chicken leg (you can substitute with boneless skinless chicken breast)
1/4 cup mozarella cheese, grated
2 Tbsp thinly sliced brown mushroom
1/4 cup carmelized onions (which I had left over)
6 streaky bacon strips
3 medium sized potatoes, cubed to about 1" square
1 large onion, cut into 8 pieces
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and black pepper to taste
Oil for browning the chicken
1) Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness.
2) Spread the mozarella, mushroom and carmelized onions over each chicken. Dot the filing with some butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3) Wrap each piece of chicken with 3 strips of bacon. Then roll up the chicken like a sausage and use toothpicks to secure the roll.
4) Preheat the oven to 200C.
5) Heat some oil in a frying pan. On medium heat, brown the chickn rolls for about a minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
6) In a baking tray, place the potatos and onion on the bottom of the tray. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Drizzle the potatoes and onion with a bit of olive oil and add about 1 Tbsp of butter.
7) Place the bacon wrapped chicken rolls on top of the potatoes.
8) Bake in oven for about 40 minutes or longer until cooked.
9) Serve with broiled vegetable and your favourite gravy. (I made a honey mustard dressing to go with the chicken)