Blueberry Butter Cake
Makes a 9" cake - serves 8
Recipe from "Bills Sydney Food" by Bill Grainger
For the Topping:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose plain flour
75g cold unsalted butter
For the Cake:
2 cups all-purpose plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
125g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup fine caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
2 cups blueberries
Method for the topping:
1) Place brown sugar and flour in a bowl, add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Method for the cake:
1) Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
2) Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Place butter and sugar in a bowl and crean until light and fluffy.
3) Add the eggs and mix until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream, mixing well after each addition.
4) Pour the cake batter into a greased 9" spring form cake tin. Sprinkle with blueberries and topping mixture.
5) Bake the cake for 50 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack, top side up.
6) Serve warm or at room temperature with fresh cream. This cake is best eaten on same day or else the topping gets soft.