Makes two 7" cake or one 10" cake)
10g cocoa powder, sifted
100g self-raising flour, sifted
30g cornflour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
70g corn oil or any other vegetable oil
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp chocolate paste (you can substitute with chocolate or coffee emulco)
5 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
120g sugar (I reduced it to 110g)
Whip & Pour whipping cream
1 can of sweet dark cherries
1/4 bitter-sweet chocolate coins
1 tablespoon thickened cream
Maraschino cherries for decoration
1) Preheat oven to 180C. Line the botton of your cake pan - do not grease the pan.
2) Put the egg yolks, oil, water and chocolate paste into a bowl. Whisk to mix together.
3) Add the cocoa powder, self-raising flour, cornflour and baking powdder into the egg mixture and stir with a whisk until it is smooth and combined. Set aside.
4) Whisk the egg whites until foamy. Then add the cream of tartar and whisk for about 1 minute on medium speed.
5) Increase to fast speed and slowly add in the sugar. Whisk until still peaks and glossy.
6) Add 1/3 of the egg white into the egg mixture and stir to combine. Add the remaining 2/3 and fold in gently so as not to deflate the mixture.
7) Bake in oven for about 25 - 30 minutes.
8) Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 15 minutes before removing.
1) Slice the cake into half.
2) Whip your whipping cream until stiff (I used "Whip & Pour" as I find that it is more stable in high humidity)
3) Melt about 1/4 cup of chocolate in the microwave (take care not to burn the chocolate). Add about 1 tablespoon of thickened cream and stir to mix. Leave to cool.
4) Lay bottom half onto a cake board. Smear the sliced top with the melted chocolate and then cover it with whipped cream. Scatter the top with canned sweet cherries. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the cherry juice. Alternatively you can use kirsch or cherry brandy.
5) Place the other half of the cake on top and cover the top and sides with more whipped cream.
6) Then cover the sides of the cake with chocolate shavings. Using a large star piping tip, decorate the top of the cake. Decorate with maraschino cherries and sprinkle the center of the cake with more chocolate shavings.
7) Refrigerate in the fridge for about 3 hours before serving.