Monday, September 26, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

I've never had a Red Velvet cake until I started blogging. In fact I don't even believe it is that popular here in Singapore as I don't see it being sold at the bakeries I frequent (maybe the better cake shops do sell it). Despite the dozens of recipes I found, there were many variations among them. Curiously enough I also found the below "dos" about Red Velvet Cakes from the internet:

** The cake must have some cocoa, but not too much because it is not a chocolate cake.

** The cake must have red food coloring; beet juice does not add the right kind of red.

** The cake must have cream cheese frosting.

** There should be pecans. (Really!)

** You must use high-quality ingredients, including White Lily flour, a Southern specialty flour. (I've never heard of White Lily flour - have you?)

** Precise measurements and meticulous attention to detail are key for this cake; therefore, it must be made in small, easy-to handle, family-sized batches. (Oh wow! And here I am posting a recipe that uses cup measurement.)

** You must use a hand-held electric mixer, not a stand mixer: Larger machines can over-mix the batter, which sometimes prevents the cake from rising properly.

** Red velvet cake batter needs vegetable oil, not butter or shortening. Oil yields a very moist cake. (Hmm ... my recipe below uses butter)

RV 5


RV 3


Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 12 medium sized cupcakes
Recipe adapted from "Joy of Baking"

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup ranulated white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring (I used Wilton)
1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Method for the Cupcakes:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and line 12 muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.

2) In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.

3) In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.

4) In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.

5) In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.

6) Working quickly, divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18 - 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.

7) Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes and them remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting. Either spread the frosting with a knife or offset spatula, or use a large 1M Wilton open star decorating tip to pipe the frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, soften cream cheese. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Gradually add in the icing sugar and continue beating until smooth. Finally add in the lemon juice and beat to combine. If icing is too soft to pipe, place in refrigerator for about 20 mins.

RV 2


RV 4


RV 1

20 comments:

Mel said...

One word, Beautiful! Lovely looking Red Velvet.

business voip services said...

One word, Beautiful! Lovely looking Red Velvet.

anh@anhsfoodblog.com said...

wow!! Love the look of these cuppies.

ann low said...

WOW! Really beautifully. I think I will make this for the coming Christmas :)

ICook4Fun said...

Nice look velvet cake Jo. I've never heard of this cake either until I came to the US. It is very popular Southern cake and most of the bakeries will have it.

Unknown said...

Pretty velvet cupcake...beetroot can't get the colour? If I wan to use it, what should I do, what will be the measurement then? Any advice?

Angeline

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Wow these look incredible, I LOVE red velvet cupcakes! Fabulous blog you have, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

Edith said...

Beautiful shots.

Angie's Recipes said...

They look wonderful. Love the beautifully piped swirls.

busygran said...

Awesome- looking cupcakes! Great for a party!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

i tasted this cake in a buffet dinner before, not that impress actually, maybe they did not add cream cheese frosting. Might try if the right timing come, hehehe..Thanks for sharing the tips.

Passionate About Baking said...

Your red velvet cupcakes looks truly beautiful with its bright red colour! I love it! I've not tried this yet, shall try yours if I want to make them! Thanks for sharing!

Noob Cook said...

so stunning!!! This has been on my to-try list for the longest time. You really bake it so well and captured it perfectly.

Noob Cook said...

I know I asked u before, but don't mind me asking again where did you buy the table that you used for many of your photos? I would love it as a backdrop for some of my food photos, but not sure where to get it. Thanks :)

Jo said...

Thanks all for dropping by and leaving me your comments. Always nice to read each and every one of them.

Sonia, the cake is actually quite plain but with a cream cheese frosting, it has been totally elevated. This frosting is awesome! I pratically licked it and I'm not one who is into too much topping either.

Hi Wiffy, it's actually not a table but rather separate wooden boards which I bought from Daiso. I then painted it white using oil paints.

wiffy said...

thanks for sharing Jo :)

sapphiree said...

great cupcakes!
I followed the recipe but got a flat cake. LOL...
Maybe its the buttermilk. I used milk and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice. But the taste of the cake is great ex. the texture.

Great recipe though... thanks!

cruise in maldives said...

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I think Joy of Baking has the best recipe so far! Recently made their RVC too using the recipe and looks good and taste delish!

Come see my blog http://comestivel.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/333/
and see how mine turns out! :)

Unknown said...

Hi jo
I baked my red velvet cuppies using ur recipe...it turned out well except my cream cheese frosting was a little soft. Many tks to you. I have linked your site to my post of the same recipe at my blog. pls feel free to drop by. tq once again! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails