I made these Mini Panettone way back in August and this is an extremely late posting. But then again maybe not! I have never made Panettone before and when I chanced upon mini ones, I could not resist. Think of them as mini fruit loaves and so easy to serve as well.
Makes 10 large muffin size
2 eggs + 1 yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
500g all purpose flour
14g dried yeast
80g castor sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
200ml warm milk (whole or low fat)
140g mixed raisins, sultana and cranberries
100g mixed candied orange and lemon peel
Extra milk for brushing
2 Tbsp flaked almonds
1) Beat the eggs and yolk with the vanilla.
2) In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the warm milk and egg mixture. Using a wooden spoon beat the mixture to a soft, sticky dough. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (about 45 mins in warm climate).
3) Line a large muffin tray with 10 muffin liners and set aside.
4) Once the dough has risen, blend the butter, fruit and peel into the risen dough, preferably with your hands. Cut into 10 equal sizes and drop a piece into each muffin liner. Cover with clingwrap and leave for the dough to rise to double its size.
5) Preheat oven to 190C. Brush the risen dough with the extra milk and scatter some almond flakes on the top. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes until golden. Best eaten within 3 days or freeze for up to 6 weeks.