So when I came across a Coconut Candy recipe in one of my cookbooks, memories came flooding back. Wouldn't it be great to make some for Christmas and colour them in red and green - the colour of Christmas. This recipe is so easy to make that any fledging cook could handle it. The candy makes great Christmas baked give-aways and I am sure the child in all of us will enjoy it as well. I hope you enjoy the holidays and wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.
3 cups grated coconut (slightly pressed)
2 1/2 cups sugar
300 ml evaporated milk
2 Tablespoon butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
green and red food coloring
1) Place all ingredients except vanilla extract and food colouring in a saucepan and place over a low flame.
2) Using a wooden spoon constantly stir the ingredients and cook the mixture until it thickens, becomes a lump, leaves the side of the pan and cystalisation begins.
3) Add the vanilla extract and stir well.
4) Remove half the mixture into a bowl. For the mixture in the saucepan, add the red food colour and stir well.
5) In the other bowl add the green food colour and stir well.
6) Line a square 9" x 9" square pan with foil. Lightly butter the foil and then spread one half of the pan with the red candy and the other half with the green.
7) Press down the mixture to compress it slightly. Cool completely before cutting in squares.