Sticky Pork Ribs
Recipe Adapted from "Gordon Ramsay" Ultimate Cookery Course"
Serves 6 - 8
2kg pork ribs, separated
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
vegetable oil, for frying
6-8 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
10cm piece ginger, peeled and sliced
2-4 tsp dried chilli flakes, to taste
8 whole star anise
2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
8 tbsp honey
280ml light soy sauce
4-5 tbsp rice vinegar
600ml Shaoxing rice wine or medium-dry sherry
10 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
800ml chicken stock
1) Preheat oven to 180°C.
2) Season the ribs with salt and pepper, pushing the seasoning into the meat.
3) Heat a roasting tray on the stove top with a little olive oil and brown the ribs for 5-10 minutes until they are coloured on all sides. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, star anise, Sichuan peppercorns and honey and continue to cook over the heat for 2 minutes until the honey begins to caramelise.
4) Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar and Shaoxing wine and bring to the boil, simmering for 1 minute.
5) Taste and adjust the flavours, adding a little extra vinegar if necessary. Add the spring onions and stock and bring to the boil.
6) Place in the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour until tender, turning the ribs halfway through the cooking time.
7) Remove the pan from the oven and place back on the stove top. Heat the marinade and reduce for 8-10 minutes until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Turn the ribs in the sauce to coat them well, then serve.