Chinese believe Black Vinegar purifies the blood, Old Ginger drives out wind, and Brown Sugar puts a check on "dampness". Pigs' Trotters are said to provide collagen and is good for strengthening joints & lumbar. Sesame Seed Oil is also to promote blood circulation and the eggs to nourish the body.
But for most of us, we just LOVE to eat this dish - whether confinement or not! This is also a dish popularly offered to relatives & neighbours who visit.
2 Pig's Trotters
1 kg Old Ginger, skinned & smashed lightly
4 Tbsp Sesame Seed Oil
1 bottle (~4cups) Black Vinegar
600g Brown Sugar
4 Hard Boiled Eggs, shelled
9 cups water
1) Clean & pluck off the hair from the pig's trotters. Cut into Big serving pieces.
2) Heat Sesame Seed Oil. Fry Old ginger until golden brown & fragrant.
3) Put fried ginger into a BIG claypot. Add vinegar, water, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 1/2 an hour until ginger becomes soft.
4) Add pig's trotters and continue to simmer until soft & tender (approx. 2hrs)
5) Add shelled hard-boiled eggs 1/2 and hour before serving. (Confinement nannies usually puts in the eggs with the shells still intact. This way, the vinegar will dissolve the shells and provide more calcium for the mother in confinement! )