Thursday, August 14, 2008

Apple and Cranberry Muffins


I had a mid-week baking itch! Maybe because I now love baking so much that I will need to indulge my passion even after putting in 10 hours in the office. I know this may sound mad to some but it's actually quite soothing sifting flour and stirring butter. It makes it all the more worthwhile when my end results looks great and taste even more so ....

I was not sure what I'll make this evening but I'm sure I will have enough ingredients in my kitchen to put together something. My kitchen cupboards are now stocked full with flour, sugar, nuts, dried fruits, etc.

During lunch time whilst my colleagues will go shopping for clothes, I'll go to the nearest baking store and shop for flour. Is this taking my passion over the edge .. I do wonder at times!

When I reached home I browsed through my many cook books .. yes, I'm now starting to accumulate quite a few of these as well .. and came across an apple and cranberry muffin. I had all the ingredients called for in the recipe including an apple looking very sorrowful in the fridge (the rest of it's companions had already been eaten earlier in the week).

This recipe didn't even require a cake mixer, it was this simple! End result was a yummy treat .. and the smell of the muffins was heavenly especially with the variety of spices that had been included in the muffin batter.


Apple and Cranberry Muffins
(makes 12)

Ingredients

55g unsalted butter
1 egg
100g sugar
zest of 1 large orange
125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
140g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 - 2 apples (fuji or washington)
170g dried cranberries
55g walnuts, chopped
icing sugar, for dusting (optional)

Method

1) Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or use paper cases.

2) Melt the butter over gentle heat and set aside to cool.

3) Place the egg in a mixing bowl and whisk lightly. Add the melted butter and whisk to combine.

4) Add the sugar, orange zest and juice. Whisk to blend, then set aside.

5) In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and salt. Set aside.

6) Quarter, core and peel the apples. With a sharp knife, chop coarsely.

7) Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. With a spoon, stir until just blended.

8) Add the apples, cranberries and walnuts and stir to blend.

9) Fill the cups three-quarters full and bake until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 25 - 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar, if desired.

3 comments:

Tom Aarons said...

I love how easy this recipe looks. Thanks!

Jo said...

Yes, these are absolutely yummy and easy to put together! Lots of flavour and crunch.

Thip said...

I like this combination, Jo.
p.s. Do you mind tell me how you like the chocolate chunck oatmeal cookies IF you make it? Thanks. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails