Don't you have one of those days when you really don't know what to cook for dinner. Well I certainly do have days like this! But having a well stocked freezer means that I can just pull a frozen pack of pizza, naan, dhall, prata or swedish meat balls without having to run to the supermarket. Furthermore it's good to have a husband who has a "anything goes" attitude and not fussy about food that's put on the table ... well as long as it's not liver!
So we decided to have swedish meat balls (from Ikea to be precise) with lingon berry sauce and boiled potatoes. However my husband asked if I could do a potato au gratin instead. He really likes this dish with it's creamy cheese sauce. Of course I said yes! This is an excellent side dish with a roast chicken, steak or fish.
Potato Au Gratin
6 small to medium potatoes (red or yellow)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 Tbsp chopped green onions
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup combination of grated mozarella, gruyer, romano and cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
more grated cheese for sprinkling
1-2 Tbsp butter
chopped parsley for garnish
1) Prepare the cream mixture, combine together the garlic, heavy cream, chopped parsely, green onions, half the grated cheese, salt and pepper.
2) In a bowl, combine the thinly sliced and peeled potatoes with 1/4 of the cream mixture. toss well.
3) Arrange the potatoes in a buttered baking dish in layers. sprinkle the top of each layer with more cheese if desired.
4) Pour over the rest of the cream mixture over the potato layers. top with a good amount of cheese and pats of butter & sprinkle with chopped parsley.
5) Cover with foil and bake in the oven at 350F for 45 mins. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 - 25 minutes until golden and gooey.
6) Serve as a side dish.