Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fig Streusel Tartlets with Pistachios

We don't often get fresh figs here in Singapore, so it was quite a nice surprise to come across some whilst doing my weekly grocery shopping. I must say that they are quite expensive though but I could not resist getting a pack of four fesh figs. I had seen a number of fig recipes floating recently in blogsphere and it's probably because it's fig season. These ones that I bought come from Turkey. Just the thought of this country brings back fond memories of my trip there many, many years ago. It was around September and was fig season as well as the local road side vendors were displaying wooden racks of fresh, sweet figs. My first taste of figs was actually there, standing along a dusty country road-side.

I had some mini tartlet shells sitting in the freezer as a result of trying out a Confit Cherry Tomato Tart . This was ideal to try out some fig tartlets.



Fig Streusel Tartlets with Pistachios

For the pate brisee

For the filling:

60g all purpose flour
60g light brown sugar
60g very cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2 tbsp thinly sliced crystallized orange peel (you can use 1 tbsp orange zest as substitute)
2 tbsp roughly chopped pistachio
12 fresh figs, quartered
3 tbsp orange blossom honey (or any other type of honey will do)

Prepare the filling and assemble:

In a large bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Add the butter and ginger and quickly mix with your fingertips until you get pea sized pieces. Layer 3/4 of the streusel at the bottom of each tart shell. Divide and arrange the quartered figs evenly on top and top with the remaining streusel. Drizzle with the honey and bake an additional 20 minutes or until the streusel is baked and the figs are slightly roasted.



16 comments:

Palidor said...

The tarts look really delicious and your presentation is beautiful!

Selba said...

I wish that Indonesia also import figs.. until today, I'm still wondering how actually figs tasted. Never tried the fresh one, only the dried on a pie and it was in Turkey.

Angie's Recipes said...

Beautiful! I love figs....last week I baked some sheet cake with figs and my husband thought they were plums....he had no idea what they were and was so surprised that he even liked the plum...and I told him that they were figs.
Angie's Recipes

Pam said...

They look so pretty and delicious.

Joie de vivre said...

Jo, What gorgeous, gorgeous photos! I crave figs almost continuously as I can't find good ones up here. I am so jealous!

The Duo Dishes said...

You always take great pictures! It's always nice to see what skills you'll impress us with. Delicious tarts.

Anonymous said...

These tartlets are just beautiful and delicious with figs!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Jo, where did you buy the figs? I really want to get some too. Thanks! Love your tartlets. Gorgeous as always!

Jo said...

Hi all, thanks for your dropping and loved reading your feedback. You are all too kind!

Hi "Ah Nya", I bought the figs at Cold Storage. Not sure if all the outlets will have it but got mine at BHG Bugis. It's about $6.50 or so for 4 figs.

Ramya Kiran said...

Pairing of orange, pistachios and figs sounds very different. I bet they taste great!

NKP said...

What gorgeous tartlets! I love figs but we rarely see them fresh here either. They must not be good travelers.

gaga said...

Man, I've been seeing figs all over the place lately. I guess it's that time of year! This looks delicious!

Cakelaw said...

Beautiful choice of fillings!! I am particularly enamoured of honey baked ham with creme fraiche.

Karine said...

These tartlets sound wonderful! A great way to enjoy figs :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Sigh I love the way figs look on the inside - so juicy and luscious. This looks like a lovely way to use them!

Sunshinemom said...

I haven't thought of figs in tarts! Sounds tasty:). Congrats on your win too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails