Thursday, April 29, 2010

Profiteroles

There is something about profiteroles that makes me want to eat more than I really should. I know I should really restrain myself because of the richness of this dessert, but who can resist.

I love the soft texture of the puffs and the cream inside - more so when it's refrigerated. I remembered when I first tried making profiteroles or cream puffs as I call them. I failed miserably. The puffs ended up being totally "poofed" flat after they had cooled down. They failed where good looks was concerned but in the taste department, they were really not bad. I'm now waiting for durian season to be in full bloom so that I can make some durian puffs ... can't wait!

choc puff 1


choc puff 3


Profiteroles
Makes 3 dozen
Recipe Adapted from "Donna Hay’s Modern Classics Book 2"


1 cup (8 oz) water
3 1/2 oz (100g) butter, chopped
3/4 cup flour, sifted
4 eggs
pastry cream
chocolate ganache glaze

Pastry cream
Yields 2 1/2 cups
Recipe Adapted from "Tartine"
* This makes for a lighter pastry cream. If you wish to make a thicker version, just use 2 egg yolks instead of whole eggs


2 cups whole milk
1/4 tsp salt
4 to 5 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

1) Whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, salt, and eggs in a small bowl until pale (about 2 minutes). Set aside.

2) Slowly heat the milk in a saucepan with the vanilla extract over a low fire until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat.

3) Slowly pour a hot milk over the egg mixture while continuously whisking. Sieve the egg mixture and pour everything back into the saucepan and whisk constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens, resembling soft peaked whipped cream.

4) Remove cream from heat and add in the cold butter. Stir the butter until it melts. Press a piece of plastic clingwrap directly onto the surface of the custard and let cool to room temperature before refrigerating.

Chocolate Ganache Glaze

8 oz dark chocolate, chopped
6 oz heavy cream

Heat the cream over medium-high heat until just boiling (but not boiling). Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let sit for a minute. Stir until smooth and velvety.

To Make the Puffs:

1) Preheat oven to 400°F.

2) Place water and butter in a saucepan over low heat until the butter is melted and the liquid begins to simmer. Toss in the flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth. Stir over low heat until the dough begins to pull from the sides of the pan.

3) Remove from heat and let cool for about 3 - 4 minutes. Then beat in the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition until the egg is completely incorporated into the dough. Fill a piping bag with the dough mixture and pipe or drop approximately 3 teaspoons of the mixture onto parchment-lined baking sheets.

4) Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the puffs turn golden. Remove from oven and place onto wire rack to cool. Use the end of a sharp knife to prick the sides of the puff to allow the steam to escape. Let cool completely before filing.

To Assemble:

Fill a piping bag with the pastry cream and push the pastry tip through the base or side of the profiterole. Squeeze enough filling into the pastry to fill it. Dip the top of each profiterole in the chocolate glaze and allow to set. Once assembled, they are best consumed within 3 hours.

choc puff 2


choc puff 4

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

They look perfect! My husband loves these little cuties filled with ice cream in summer time.

Noob Cook said...

yummy! i adore cream puffs... quick quick make durian puffs coz I like them even more, haha

MaryMoh said...

Love these. I love the feeling when biting into it....just so delicious....mmmm. Better still with ice cream.

Ling's Passion said...

Your photo skill makes the profiteroles irressitable.

symphonious sweets said...

When they are bite size it does not matter how many you eat ;)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

That chocolate topping takes this way over the top. yum yum yum

Jacinda said...

Here you go, one license to eat tasty food.

You're welcome.

Cherine said...

My favorite desert, your profiteroles look amazing!!!

tigerfish said...

I love profiteroles too and esp when served cold (yet not icy).

New Orleans Debt Negotiation Attorney said...

Very nice cream puffs. Thanks for sharing your excellent photos and introducing the idea.

Pei-Lin said...

Jo, I'm drooling over your profiteroles even though I'm still having my lemon polenta cake for breakfast! Yours looks so, so good!! How I wish I can just have some ... I, too, love the creamy texture of the filling when it goes together with the pastry! Mmm ... Divine!

Durian season is coming!? Oh, I'm waiting eagerly and patiently ... BUT just gotta be sure that no one at home gets overdosed with durian ... It's unbearably hot this couple of weeks!

Jo said...

Hi Angie, Mary, Ling, Symphonious, Linda, Jacinda, Cherine, Tigerfish and New Orleans for dropping by.

Hi Wiffy, Pei-Lin, haha ... my hubby is waiting to for those durian puffs. Will post up once I put some together.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Related Posts with Thumbnails