I finally decided an iPhone would be much simplier and omit out on the wording bits .... my writing skills using royal icing simply suck .. in fact suck big time! I really need to practise on this more often. Over the next few days, I drew up my game plan on how to approach the cake. The cake size would be about 12" by 9.5". Should not be too fat as iPhones are pretty slim. It would be 2 layers of Chocolate Fudge Cake frosted with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting between the layers and around the cake as well, before being completely wrapped in fondant.
I worked my time-table a week backwards from actual delivery date. The early part of the week was to do a "mock-up" drawing of the actual size of the cake with the applets to be used. I found out that there could be a few designs for a particular applet. Take for example "Messaging" (this is the 1st green applet on the left). The one I have made here is with a plain bubble. There is one which actually has the word SMS inside the bubble. I guess I learnt a bit more about the iPhone whilst doing this cake.
The very next evening I whipped up several batches of home-made fondant. By Wednesday evening I was blending the colours into little balls of fondant which would be used for the applets. On Thursday evening, I worked on the applets, which are all handmade and left them aside to dry out completely. On Friday night, I baked the layers of chocolate cake and frosting. Once cooled the layers were wrapped in foil, placed into the refrigerator for it's final assembly on Sunday. The assembly itself took a lot longer than I had anticipated, 6 hours in all and by the time I finished it was just past 6.00 pm. I was truly and totaly tired out by then. The photos don't really look that good as natural light was unable by then and I had to use the camera flash to do the job.