Friday, March 11, 2011

Lemon Sugar Cookies

I really do like baking with lemons as it gives such refreshing flavours to baked goodies. So when I stumbled upon this lemon cookie recipe, I simply could not resist and as I've not used lemon in a cookie dough before, the idea was even more tempting. Every so often I'm bugged at work as to why I have not been bringing any goodies to work lately. So a batch of these would definitely work at keeping those "hungry palates at bay"! I must say thought that the cookies turned out great! Extremely light and with a freshing lemon zest flavour.

I made the full recipe posted here and packed them into two separate jars. One to be taken to office and a smaller one to be given to a friend whose birthday had just passed early this week. On the day I brought the lemon cookies to work, I distributed a few around. I guess the cookies must have been really delicious because the cookie jar seemed to have missed a few more lemon cookies the very next morning when I got into the office. A "big rat" and a two-legged one at that must have snucked in and ran off with a few cookies!

lemon cookie 4

lemon cookie 3

Lemon Sugar Cookies
Recipe Adapted from "Taste of Home"
Yields between 36 - 40 cookies


1 3/4 cups white castor sugar
Zest of 2 large lemons
226g unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp lemon extract
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda


1) For the lemon sugar: Combine 1/3 cup sugar with 1 tsp lemon zest in a bowl. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar and break up any clumps. Set aside.

2) For the cookie dough: Sieve flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda in a medium bowl. Use a whisk to mix and set aside.

3) In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with remaining sugar. until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time and beat until well incorporated.. Add lemon extract, lemon juice and reserved lemon zest. Add flour mixture, one cup at a time, blending well after each addition, until all flour is incorporated. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.

4) Preheat oven to 180C. Shape dough into balls about 1 1/2 Tbsp in size for eadh cookie. (I used a small ice-cream scoop to do this). Roll the dough in the lemon sugar and place onto lined baking sheets about 3" apart. Flatten the dough to about 1/4" and for 12-14 minutes. The cookie will be slightly soft in the center. if you want a crispier cooker, bake another minute longer but watch out in case it gets too brown.

5) Let cookie sit on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

lemon cookie 1

lemon cookie 2


Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

it must be very fragrant with lemon aroma!

CaThY said...

These cookies really look good. :)

hanushi said...

Lemon cookies, must be very refreshing!! :) Looks so great!

Anncoo said...

I seldom use lemon for bookmarking it. Thanks!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Jo, I have no doubt tat these are delicious. I would have these with te for breakfast!

tigerfish said...

The hint of citrus is always welcoming for me ;)

Lisa said...

Your pictures are so bright and cheery, making your cookies look so inviting. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up.

Yummy Koh said...

Hi Jo, these cookies look good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails