Another well-known cupcake bakery is The Hummingbird Bakery which is located in London. Tarek Malouf, the founder of The Hummingbird Bakery has been selling cupcakes and other American treats for more than six years now. The Hummingbird Bakery is located in three prime London locations and they sell around 22,000 cupcakes a week.
Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery "Cupcakes & Muffins"
Makes 12 cupcakes
100g plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
110g caster sugar (reduced from original)
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
120ml low-fat milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Pre-heat oven to 170C and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2) Lightly beat the egg together with the milk and vanilla extract. Set aside.
3) Add all other ingredients in a bowl and using a hand mixer beat on low speed until mixture resembles a sandy consistency and everything is combined
4) Slowly add in half of the milk/egg mixture and beat on slow. Add in the remaining liquid and continue beating for another 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
5) Spoon the batter into the liners 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the cupcake bounces back when touched. Leave cupcakes to cool completely before frosting with your favourite frosting