After trying out this recipe from Nasi Lemak Lover, I came across another blogger who had actually made a comparison of two Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcake recipes, one of which is this one. Check out the comparison Here!
Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes
Makes about 10 cupcakes
Recipe Adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover
Ingredients for the Cupcake:
3 egg yolks
1/8 tsp of salt
20g vegetable oil (you can also use corn/canola/sunflower oil)
25g self-raising flour
105g egg whites (about 3 eggs)
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
40g castor sugar
1) Whisk egg yolk with salt. Add in oil and milk and mix well.
2) Sift flour and baking powder into the egg yolk mixture.
3) Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy and then slowly add in the sugar and beat till soft peaks
4) Fold in half of the egg whites into the cake batter and mix until incorporated using a whisk or spatula. Then add in the other half and mix them evenly (do not overmix - you want to maintain the volume of the cake batter).
5) Fill the mixture into the cupcake liners.
6) Bake at pre-heated oven at 160c for 20mins. Leave to cool completely before filling.
7) Make a small hole at the middle, pump the custard cream into the chiffon. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Custard Cream Filling:
30g non-dairy whipped fresh cream, cold from the refrigerator
1 tsp custard powder
Add the custard powder to the fresh cream and whip until it is almost stiff peaks.