With so much strawberries on sale now, this makes me want to search out recipes using this fruit. I thus decided to try out a mousse which seems relatively easy. And I must say that it was not only easy, it was delicious as well! The mousse had a slight tartness to it and was extremely smooth with each bite. You can also opt to serve the mousse with some whipped cream, fresh cut strawberries or a strawberry sauce.
2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
1 tablespoon water
8 oz (210g) strawberries, pureed
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup (190ml) heavy cream
1) Prepare the strawberry mousse: sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl and set aside to bloom (soften).
2) In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, stir together the strawberries and sugar just until hot.
3) Add the gelatin and stir until it is completely melted. Let cool to room temperature.
4) In the meantime, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks. Once the strawberries are at the right temperature, carefully fold the whipped cream into the fruit base.
5) Pour into serving bowls and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.